Couples Counselling aims to help the parties in the relationship seek a deeper understanding of one another. It’s about finding what works best for each person to communicate, and be heard. Relationships are complex, inter-connections of different views and life histories. This means each partner brings a different view and set of expectations to the relationship. The goal is to figure out how to blend each person’s view in such a way that all parties can thrive individually and within the relationship, while removing any past traumas that might be getting in the way.
I approach relationships from a supportive, non-judgmental stance, seeking to increase the friendship, improve communication and teach skills to help relationships thrive well into the future. Combined with my research into gender related issues, and specifically men, I offer a unique perspective on couples. Relationships have a natural ebb and flow of connection and disconnection and I believe the ‘work’ in marriage and partnership, is learning the skills necessary to ‘flow’ back together regularly. Many of my clients come when things are seemingly going great, so they have the skills in place before any conflict arises, others come in at the height of conflict looking for relief, while others come because they’re ending their relationship and want to ensure healthy co-parenting. I welcome all. I strive to offer concrete steps that couples can take, learning through experience right in the counselling room and tools for implementing skills into daily life. Specific areas I work in are:
- Building and/or rebuilding the base levels of affection and trust
- Infidelity or broken trust and dealing with the aftermath
- Rebuilding sexual connection and growing sexual intimacy
- Dealing with life transitions – birth, marriage, separation, death, among others
- Infertility or navigating alternative methods of conceiving/adopting
- Blending families with step children
- How to co-parent before/through/after separation or divorce
- Preparing for marriage and navigating the agreements
- Creating solid communication and connection patterns
- Dealing with conflict and repairing damage after the fight
Your relationship is an important part of your wellbeing. Couples Counselling can help your most important relationship thrive!